Monday, May 23, 2011

The renovation so far.....

For Betty in Brisbane (R's old flatmate who is a lovely friend) and Grandma and Grandpa in Morocco (having a glamorous holiday exploring places like YSL's holiday house) and for all the other people who keep harassing me/us for photos of the reno.... this is where we are at people:


The front of the house, photo taken standing on the driveway.  New roof (Colourbond windspray) and new front deck.  Loving Ross' decision to do double deck posts, so pleased with how they turned out!



Panelling under the new front deck.  Also thrilled with Ross' insisting that we do exposed eaves here.  I was initially a bit reluctant as all I could think about was the spiders that would be nesting around them, but I am so glad he won this one as they look fantastic.  Warning to all spiders: those eaves are going to be brushed regularly with lemon oil.  Move on hairy legs!



Standing on new front deck looking towards the driveway.  As you can see one of the apprentices has been "helping."  Mum and Dad, note the new retaining wall.  The Czech guy, who brought his Mum along to supervise and yell at him (in Czech) did a brilliant job.  It matches the rest of the retaining walls perfectly and you would never know the wall was moved to accommodate the extension! 


Front of house.  Front door will be in the centre little nook, set back a bit.



Inside the new front bedroom, we are putting vertical VJ walling in all the bedrooms, above the fireplace and also the laundry.  I really wanted to do it in the bathrooms as well but Ross the spoilsport was worried about waterproofing. It looks similar to groove and tongue for anyone unfamiliar with VJ.





Looking down the drive into the new "garage/playroom." 



The first half of this room will be garage storage for bikes, skis, surfboards, scooters etc etc The back half will be a playroom/spare room.





Looking up to the new extension from the garden.  Ash (one of the builders, as in a real one, not a pint sized wannabe one) is standing at the new playroom doors.  The next door/window to the right is the new laundry.


Looking up at the new back deck and bifolds into living room.

The back half of the house, the current living/dining/kitchen which is inside the frame in the above picture is getting pulled off next week to be re-built! Aaaaagh!  Further renovation updates to follow soon.




17 comments:

  1. Wow, it's all looking fantastic. Love the roof colour and I agree, the double posts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your property is lovely with all those trees. so green. you give me hope. someday. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous but very challenging to live in! Good luck and stay sane... x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Emma your house looks great, you've got lots happening. I really like how you've lined the roof on the deck and the double posts look really effective. Vj's are so nice but really expensive for timber, the sheeting is much cheaper and looks the same but not waterproof which is a shame. Good luck with the rest of the renovating I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I.AM.IN.LOVE.

    I love your front porch. Is the back going to stay exposed and be a porch? It looks like such an Aussie house - I guess it's the roof line. I love it. We added on a deep porch when we renovated - it was annoying becuase it cost as much as if it was a finished room but it's really been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and thanks for making me a spare room. If I start now, maybe I can hitch a ride with a passing freighter and be there by the time you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh im so jealous. It's all very gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is all looking amazing! I love that it fits seamlessly and is sympathetic to your original property. Well done, I look forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, OMG!! Your house is amazing. I have a severe case of deck envy... I adore your VJ walling and the panelling under your deck roof. It's going to look fabulous. You've got great taste. It's going to be the most perfect Beach House ever. What colours did you end up choosing (good to keep in my 'house heaven' file that I hope one day will come true). So you're up Narrabeen way are you?? You must be, look at the size of that block and the privacy. Sensational. Pruxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. stunning ... it already looks stunning! how exciting and the VJ panelling looks fantastic. you really will enjoy this x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving it, loving it, loving it all!

    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful - what a lovely house. Glad you dropped by mine so I found you too. Love following along with a reno. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emma

    Thanks for showing us your house on the weekend. It looks better in real life than the photos (if possible)! You guys have such great taste! Just wanted to ask you what you used to achieve the borders on the external window and doors. Was it a strip of wood or aluminium or something else?

    Naomie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Naomie, Thank you!! Sorry, only just saw this and think I answered your questions at swimming lessons but asked Ross, the windows are BWG aluminum windows with timber reveals. The window architrave on the outside is a 90 x 30 LOSP treated pine painted in Taubmans Aspen Snow but Using Dulux Exterior paint. Hope that answers your questions. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there,

    My husband and I were just searching for houses that had a similar look to what we want for our renovation. We love the look of your house! We had just ordered a Windspray colorbond roof and it seems we made the right choice. I was just going to ask,what is the colour of your exterior walls on the house? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have been tossing up with classic colour scemes and double posts... From one Emma to another .. Thanks I think I've just made up my mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma! Good luck with your project! I keep looking at our new house (which is mostly done!) and wondering whether we can change the posts to double posts! It just looks so much better! Emma

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...