Friday, September 3, 2010

A Garden Swing

Ever since childhood I have had a hankering for a swing in the garden. As a child living in India I was kindly given a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses. My imagination was promptly inspired by this lovely verse:


The Swing

How do you like to go up in a Swing?
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!






As soon as we saw the garden at this house, R and I both knew that this was going to be our next home. We were so enamoured with the house and the garden that we actually made an offer to the agent at that first open house and had it accepted the following day! Thank you to my lovely dad for making me the swing and to my wonderful husband for risking his life to get it into the tree! Two wonderful Fathers! Happy Father's Day to all!





4 comments:

  1. how nice to have such a wonderful gift made for your children by your father...i love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous verse. And what about that swing. Sensational. That will give the boys hours of fun. What a beautiful home for you and your family. Pruxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW PERFECT!!!!! I am so envious of this masterpiece!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! My husband made a swing for our boys out of a tyre and they love it :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...