Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Life lately...


My orchids are flowering again, two of them for the second time in a 3 month period.  Friends keep sending me photos of miserable and dead wilted  orchids asking what it is that they are doing wrong.  I seriously have no idea what it is that I do right though.  I did write a post on how I look after mine not that long ago if anyone is actually interested.  I wonder if it is the spectacular antique ginger jars they are housed in.  Speaking of which does anyone know where to source genuine ginger jars from in Australia?  Not, the mass produced ones that you see everywhere but authentic antique jars?  My Mum was telling me that when they were buying these in the 1970s,  way back when they were on posting in Cambodia it was hard to source genuine jars even back then.  I imagine it is next to impossible these days but still, I would love to know if anyone ever comes across them.  I particularly would love to know more about mine as well.




Another view of them bathed in a sunset pink glow a few nights ago.  The sunsets in Sydney have been truly spectacular recently.  



My Mother's Day sleep in came courtesy of Scrabble.  It is a new obsession in this house.  I am secretly delighted as the Monopoly Board has been hurled a few too many times lately and Scrabble is something I would actually choose to play.  My friends used to roll their eyes at me regularly whenever we were on holidays together and I would pull out the board games or a pack of cards. So  I must say I am thrilled that I now have willing and able board game buddies at my beck and call, especially ones that are actually able to play the games I want to play.  I am thinking it might be time to teach them 500 or cribbage.  





My darling boys both chose Cyclamens for me from the Mother's Day gift stall at school, they know me well!  I could not have asked for a more perfect gift from them.  I even love how H selected white and N picked out pink!  I have them together on a shelf in the kitchen and they look so pretty together.  




My Mother's Day gift from Ross was this stunning and ever so pretty dress from Magali Pascal.  Ross chose it for me in Bali a couple of weeks ago when he was over there working (again, lucky thing!!) and I love it!  It pains me to admit this, but I think he might be better at picking out clothes for me than I am.  I feel so lucky and privileged, thank you Ross, N and H, I had a lovely day.  

2 comments:

  1. Love your orchids, and impressed you keep them alive! I am an orchid killer sadly. I think the best place to source antique ginger jars are the auction rooms. They usually have them in every sale, at various price points depending on age. I often wonder why people buy the shiny new ones when you can get such lovely real ones cheaper at auction (in some instances). Also love your painting - truly stunning.
    We play a lot of board games here too, but with a wider variety of ages it's snakes and ladders to include the 5 year old. It can be a challenge... for adults have you played Cards Against Humanity? So funny.
    Also such a stunning dress! You were very spoilt indeed for Mother's Day. Mine was a little bit of a non event I'm afraid, unfortunately my husband seems to have got some memo that it's a commercial thing we shouldn't buy into. Sad days for me! H xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Attending the auction rooms is something I always intend to do and then never get around to actually going. I must remedy that immediately, I am always fascinated by the wonderful items that you and Romy find at auctions. As for Snakes & Ladders I have hidden it from the 7 year old as he would happily play a round daily if we let him. The rest of us do not share his enthusiasm for it so I completely understand. I just googled Cards Against Humanity and I think that I might urgently need a pack now! It looks hilarious. If I was closer to you I would drop an Orchid around for you as a Mother's Day Gift! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...