Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back into the swing of things

It was an interesting week, last week...  the Captain's school partially burnt down and all classes were cancelled whilst the damaged classrooms and library were demolished and all the hazardous materials removed from the school site.  I volunteered to help out any of the parents from the Captain's class who were struggling with child care issues and thus found myself operating a day care centre for 6 and 7 year olds.  It was great fun.  Amazingly I either ended up with all boys or all girls each day.  The day that I had all girls (save for the Captain of course), we did lots of craft and a lot of dressing up!  We have mostly "boy" dress up items but that didn't stop the girls... I had a couple of cowgirls and some medieval Knights and would you believe they had an all out battle in the backyard!


The Captain was King of course!  I would love to show you some more photos but there are too many faces in them to put on the web unfortunately!  Yes...I am one of those Mums that lets her kids play with toy swords and the girls were thrilled with them. Much more so than any boys that have ever been here to play!


Apparently this is my future daughter-in-law.  




The days that I had boys were dominated with Lego, Thunderbirds and a trip to the local Waterfall.



They spent hours trying to build a dam and yes, one fell in and yes, I am pretty sure it was an accidentally on purpose thing.   Ah, you just have to love little boys! 

If anyone has any good fundraising ideas for a small school to do I would love to hear them.








9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had such a fun time, and so kind of you to help out your community. Dress ups is always fun! I hope your school gets rebuilt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a pretty funky potential daughter-in-law....!!

    Will have a think re fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame about the school, although it sounds like you've had a great time with the kids. Your future daughter-in-law is rocking that outfit. Love it!! Leahx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about the boys' school. You're a saint to take on all those kids though, and sooo brave to take boys to a waterfall!!! We did a fundraiser at the boys childcare centre last year which went quite well - it was a recipe book. Parents and teachers all contributed (along with the centre's chef sharing the kids favourites from the centres menu). I volunteered to design it and it was just colour photocopied and bound and sold for about $10 a copy. Car boot sales work well in this age of thriftism and roadkill rescues - perhaps a fee to sell and a portion of earnings to the school? Good luck! Hope things are back to normal soon!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so fantastic of you to mind all those kids :-) Your future daughter in law looks suspiciously like my future daughter in law from behind, she so better not be two-timing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a ball with all the kids and it looks like they did too! How lovely of you to offer. I know how grateful those mums must have been for your assistance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sad story about the school. I hope that this start rolling soon for your fund-raising endeavours....art auction?

    As for you as the uber-daycare Mum - genius and oh so generous!
    What fun they would have had and I bet they all went home bubbling with stories of their day.

    I'm liking the look of your FDL - a true pirate princess!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's terrible about the school but how very kind of you to offer to look after those children. I'm a teacher and used to 30+ kids but don't even know if it's something I would volunteer to do so good on you :) Sounds like the kids all had a ball at your place x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this spot. I posted about our trip here last winter. Do you live near it???
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...