Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bathroom vanity plans....

I am interrupting the photo challenge for a quick renovation update, more specifically a bathroom vanity update!  Hours of research have gone into the vanities which may help to explain why I am so excited about them!  Over the years I have saved many images, filed carefully away in my home inspiration folder.  Unfortunately, I neglected to save where I sourced them from. If any of the following images are yours (or if you know who they belong to) please, please let me know and I will credit those appropriate immediately! 





When husband and I went to look at bathroom supply places we found lots of sinks that we liked, some taps that we liked... but not a single vanity.  Even the ridiculously expensive, high end vanities left us cold.  We really wanted something that had a beach house feel and didn't look too modern, but there wasn't really anything in that bracket.  After looking through all the images that we had saved and flicking through our extensive home magazine collection we started to get a feel for exactly what it was we wanted, plus I found this vanity that another blogger had had her husband whip up:



As you do, what a handyman!




I wish I could find her blog again to credit her, as her gorgeous vanity and the vanity that she identified as being her inspiration:



became our inspiration and it was these images that we showed to the various cabinet makers.  I investigated wood vs stone benchtops, 120 year old Kauri Pine vs recycled hardwood and after much deliberation decided to go with a laboratory style basin on a recycled hardwood base.  I decided against a stone top as I love the look of the wood top:



 The basin is just balancing on top at the moment as the plumber hasn't done the waste yet or installed the taps but you can get an idea of how it will look.  I had intended to put a couple of small cane baskets on the shelf below to store towels/bathroom bits and pieces in but I grabbed one of my vintage wine press baskets, as it was close, and now I love the look of it on the bottom shelf. 


Many thanks to the lovely Rupert at Beachwood for making sense of a couple of photos and creating a vanity that we are beyond thrilled with!




`

12 comments:

  1. Love it. We have quite similar taste....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Emma! I can see why you are so excited!! Are you going to be able to control yourself until all the final bits are done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE it!!! how exciting ... enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! In my 'dream house' I am planning on having a gorgeous vintage cabinet made into a vanity. Love your style! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. in Victoria your wine press basket is called a dip tin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! So lovely to hear that it is not just us that like this sort of look!

    Pen, love your idea of a vintage cabinet!

    Anonymous - thank you so much! I have been trying to find out what these baskets are called and had no luck! Do you know anything else about them?

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I'd never guess that the base was new.

    It's so exciting when you get to see your ideas happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great Emma:) It captures your beach feel beautifully and a basket with towels underneath will look lovely. Thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I have serious bathroom lust. Our house was built in the late 70s and it has the dark brown and cream everything to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! You were totally right to hold out for the perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous! Definitely got the beach house feel going on. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dip tins were used to dip the sultanas into a solution/ chemical to help them to dry faster then drained, hence the holes, and spread on to wire racks to dry.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...