Incident 1. The Snake
The Captain announced calmly to me from the french doors that lead out into the garden, "Mummy, there is a snake in the garden" the calmness of this statement threw me and I ignored him! In my defence, I was thinking to myself that it must be a stick he is looking at. A second, more urgent sounding "Mummy, there is a snake in the garden" got my attention though and I got up to have a look.
"Get inside the house and shut all the doors and windows!" I screeched, grabbing the phone to call husband and seek his advice on what to do. Of course he was in Melbourne playing golf. Admittedly and in his defence, it was a charity match raising money for Ronald McDonald House, however at that point in time I was outraged that he was not at my beck and call. He suggested I ring WIRES. They were very helpful and identified the snake as a non-venomous tree snake! Phew!
Incident 2. The demise of the Dishwasher
Out of frustration and to punish husband for his neglectful absence in my time of need I went and bought myself a shiny new Miele dishwasher and to go with it a lovely new Miele oven. Well, it was on special and that never happens with Miele. Plus, our stove top is Miele, so now everything matches and looks lovely!
Incident 3. The Power Failure
Tree-loppers across the road in their attempt to remove some Bangalow Palms managed to accidentally knock down a giant Strezlitzia straight onto the power lines! No power for hours, this was merely inconvenient compared to incident 4 though.
Incident 4. The Wardrobe Malfunction
I left the house at half-past eight and dropped the Captain off at pre-school. Then with the baby went to do the shopping, pottered around Spotlight buying party items, had a coffee and some lunch and then visited several of my favourite junk shops. During the course of the day I chatted with numerous people, but it was not until half-past two when I went to collect the Captain from school, that one of the other lovely Mums sidled up to me and whispered in my ear, "Emma, your dress is on inside out!" I was mortified! I have decided to blame R for this incident. If he had been at home he might have perhaps noticed such a significant wardrobe malfunction. Also I might not have been so distracted (see incidents one, two and three).
Thankfully, throughout the mayhem, my two little pirates were angels... thank you boys!
P.S. I love my new oven and dishwasher and it made walking around the northern beaches with my frock on inside out all better, admittedly some rather extravagant retail therapy though!