Friday, April 29, 2011

A holiday, a hiatus, the horror of living in a construction site and of course, the Wedding

Hello, not sure if there is anyone still to say hello to after such a long and unplanned break, but if anyone is still interested... I am back!

Firstly,  many thanks to the gorgeous people that emailed and left comments checking in on me.  I was so touched to hear from you, and Julia, your comments had me giggling (they always do though!).  We actually have been sort of at sea! We have been away at the beach house, a place so lovely but also so remote that there is no mobile service and also no internet service.  I know, it is kind of hard to believe in this day and age, but yes such places do exist!

The other reason for the lengthy hiatus is that our house is currently a construction site.  Anyway more about that to follow soon but for those that have asked, we are 99% sure that we are going to paint the house Dulux Oyster Linen, the same colour as the house in the first two images of last post, with chalk USA trims.  The front door will be either black or gunmetal grey but this is still to be decided, ...the  door knocker I have chosen is  black and is currently on it's way from France.  When it gets here I will make a final decision regarding the house/door colour!  More about the renovation to follow very soon! 

Meanwhile, here are some holiday snaps:








... and, despite the construction site it is wonderful to be home! I am currently watching the Royal Wedding (and typing this!)  in a room in which two of the walls are comprised solely of orange plastic.  The doors out to the backyard are nailed shut and the rain is slowly drifting in.  Nevertheless, I am curled up on the couch, cocooned in a blanket that my grandmother knitted for my brother when he went off to boarding school at Timbertop (where Prince Charles went briefly), enjoying a glass of champagne and reminiscing about the last itme I watched a British Royal Wedding.  It was 1981 and we were on posting in India.  I think my parents might have been out or away as I watched the Wedding with my Ayah (nanny) and all the other servants and their families,  in the servants quarters behind our house.  There were at least a dozen of us squashed into a tiny room, watching the wedding on an even tinier black and white television, but I can still remember how thrilling it all was to a little 9 year old.   It was the only thing that I saw on television in India and in English during the course of our posting to Delhi. 

Hope all are well and I will be along to visit you all soon. xx

edited to add:

Julia, this is the new spa:

11 comments:

  1. What a neat memory! I was in our den...big whoop.

    I love the picture of the conqueror surveying his territories! Oh, and of your new spa. Very nice Emma!

    GLADYOUAREBACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't her dress GORGEOUS???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Gorgeous holiday snaps! I remember Charles and Di's wedding so clearly too, scary how fast time goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Emma! You darling girl. I am *so* delighted to see you back here again - I have missed you. My, you've been busy. I adore the footprints shot. How much longer will your reno take? J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma - you are back, yay!

    Love the photo of your little man scrubbing his back. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your holiday snaps, absolutely gorgeous! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great to see you back here Emma. It's been so long it looks like the Captain has grown! They do that, don't they, right before our eyes! I love the photo of him, gazing into the horizon, all that big sky, it's beautiful.

    I think I was 9 for Charles and Di's wedding too, but I don't really remember actually watching it. I just remember Dad gave us all a special freshly minted 50c coin with the newlyweds on it, as a special token of the occasion. Hmm, thanks Dad... Your memory of watching it in India sounds vivid, and amazing.

    I hope the reno moves along quickly, with no hold-ups. I love black doors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh emma, stunning pictures and i love your memories of the watching the royal wedding as a 9 year old. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's so much to say!
    Firstly, welcome back!

    Second - your holiday looks like perfection made even better by the fact that you were truly able to get away from all technology.
    The photos at the beach & beyond are terrific, the pop out footprints in the sand and the scrub-a-dub-dub being my favourites.

    Thirdly - your house renos sound huge and I can't wait to see the magic you wield on your gorgeous home.

    Fourth and final - thank you for sharing a snippet of your childhood in India, it would be wonderful to learn more.

    Happy weekend & welcome back!

    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to be somewhere with no communication! The beach house looks amazing and I can't wait to see your French door knocker! Welcome home Emma! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...